Postdoctoral Position in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
The Public Health Research Group of the Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Cape Coast (UCC), Cape Coast, Ghana is looking to recruit a postdoctoral fellow to work on its DEMSU Project funded by the African Academy of Sciences. The DEMSU Project seeks to investigate the dietary and environmental mediators of socioeconomic inequalities in child undernutrition in West Africa using Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) datasets. The postdoctoral fellow will be located at the Department of Biomedical Sciences, UCC, work under the direct supervision of Dr. Kofi Amegah, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with very skilled epidemiologists and biostatisticians in reputable institutions in Africa, UK and North America Responsibilities The candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Pooling together DHS datasets across different waves within and across West African countries;
- Curing and managing (recoding and deriving variables) the datasets for comparability;
- Conducting epidemiological, econometrics and statistical analysis;
- Writing draft manuscripts and responding to journal review comments; and
- Assisting with teaching and assessment of epidemiology and/or biostatistics courses at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- PhD or equivalent degree in Epidemiology and/or Biostatistics;
- Deep understanding and application of advanced epidemiological and statistical methods;
- Experience working with DHS or large datasets;
- Strong skills in the use of statistical software such as SAS, R and Stata;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Record of publications in high impact peer-reviewed journals
- The position is for one and half years with an anticipated start date in August, 2020.
- Based on satisfactory performance, the candidate could be appointed as a Lecturer/Senior
- Lecturer into the Department of Biomedical Sciences after end of the fellowship.